Presently, visitors can experience a self-guided interpretive trail at the W.E.B. Du Bois Homesite in a rural setting two miles from downtown Great Barrington. The interpretive trail highlights Du Bois’s journey from Great Barrington to the world stage, information from ongoing archaeological excavations, as well as the Homesite dedication in 1969.
For summer 2022, enjoy a free, guided tour each Sunday from July 4th weekend through Labor Day Weekend – Sundays only, at 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM. Meet at the Du Bois Homesite parking lot.
Visitors can also explore Du Bois’s legacy in the landscape of downtown Great Barrington. Take the W.E.B Du Bois in Great Barrington Walking Tour to learn about places and people important to Du Bois.Free Guided Walking Tours at the W.E.B. Homesite, 2022
- Guided Tours of the Du Bois Homesite are scheduled for Sundays during the 2022 season, 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM & 2:00 PM.
- Group tours may be available on other days and times by appointment.
- The tour is about 50 minutes long, and follows a loop wooded trail that takes visitors to the remains of Du Bois’s ancestral home where visitors will learn about Du Bois’s family and way of life as revealed through archaeological investigations and historic documents. Along the way, visitors will learn about Du Bois’s journey from Great Barrington to the world stage, as well as the site’s beginnings as a memorial.
- Meet at the Homesite parking area. Please note, presently there are no bathroom facilities at the Homesite.
- For questions or group bookings: Email email@example.com or (413) 717-6259.
Additional tours, provided by the Du Bois Freedom Center:
- Saturday, July 23 — 10:30 a.m. – Guided tour of downtown African American heritage sites and the W.E.B. Du Bois Boyhood Homesite, Great Barrington. Stay tuned for details at the Du Bois Freedom Center website.
- Saturday, August 20 — 10:30 a.m. – Guided tour of downtown African American heritage sites and the W.E.B. Du Bois Boyhood Homesite, Great Barrington. Stay tuned for details at the Du Bois Freedom Center website.
Click on the links below to learn more:
- W.E.B. Du Bois Homesite
- Fifty Sites in Great Barrington, guidebook by Bernie Drew
- Downtown Great Barrington: Walking Tour
Download the guide by Bernie Drew: Fifty Sites In Great Barrington: